Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Roasted Carrots

Okay, so it is not rocket science by any means, but I have a really hard time coming up with different side dishes. There is of course the usual - rice, salad, raw veggies and dip, and my all time go to - corn! So I thought maybe I would start a category for just side dishes and maybe someone (including myself) can find some inspiration here.

I am not a fan of cooked veggies. Well, of course the ones that need to be cooked (potatoes and corn) but otherwise I'd rather have them all raw. I started realizing that it wasn't necessarily the cooked vegetables I didn't like but the way it was prepared. I am trying to discover new ways and branch out to serve them more often.

This is everything you will need to roast your carrots. Easy. In fact, this is all you need to roast any vegetable. Salt, Pepper, Garlic, an herb (I used thyme), an acid (I used an orange) and olive oil.


Boil your carrots for 10 minutes or so. Don't skip this step - they won't caramelize as well. I am still searching for the best pan to roast in to get the best caramelization. When the carrots come out of the water quickly toss with olive oil, orange juice, salt, pepper, garlic and thyme. Pop it into a hot oven for anywhere from 30 - 50 min. I usually just cook it as long as the protein is in the oven.
Enjoy
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment