Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Spicy Yogurt Dip

During one of my "what's for dinner" conversations in my head, I got stuck on quesadillas. We don't typically have these, tacos are the usual Mexican fare around here. It wasn't so much the quesadilla that I wanted but rather the spicy yogurt dip I have had a few times in restaurants. See I am not much of a salsa girl, and I don't like sour cream - but every once in awhile I am served a dip I can't refuse. I thought it would be much easier to find a recipe than it was, I really had to do some hunting - but boy am I glad I did!!

Be sure to use Greek Yogurt for this dish. I am sure a plain yogurt would work too - but this is the nice thick stuff and it tastes good too. One of my new favorite ingredients is tomato paste in a tube. Whoever would have thought I would have that stocked in my pantry (non-tomato lover)? In the past, I rarely bought the stuff as most recipes just call for a tablespoon or so. I always felt bad throwing away most of the tin. Since I started adding a little to our mac and cheese (hidden veggies are good kids!) I found it so helpful to have on hand!

What I loved about this recipe is that I had all the ingredients on hand but the yogurt and the chipotle powder. Now, I have chili powder, and cayenne pepper, and chili sauce, diced jalapenos - but I did not have chipotle powder. You need this, they all taste different and this one needs the chipotle. Now that I have it, I can make years and years worth of spicy yogurt dip!!

The dip was awesome. I did half the amount of chipotle powder than called for as my husband can't take a lot of spice. Oddly, I was still satisfied with this but may occasionally divide the dip and add some extra spice to mine. I also substituted the cilantro for some dried parsley - sorry either you like it or you don't - and I definitely don't!! My brave 3 year old son even had 3 or 4 mouthfuls of dip before deciding against it. I am so proud of his palate, haha.

I plan on serving this tomorrow with home made perogies, and will be making it again and again in the future. I hope you will too. Here is the recipe.

Enjoy

CC

1 comment: