Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snickerdoodle Loaf

Adapted from Apples and Twinkies

My husband and I had some visitors over today and I wanted to make something special. Something with easy flavors but still really delicious. I had been recently blog surfing and was surprised by all the different variations of Snickerdoodle cookies, loaves and cakes that were made over the holidays. I am not sure if this is more of an American treat or perhaps it just hasn't been very big with my family, but I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I have eaten a Snickerdoodle. After reading so many I got to thinking, I LOVE cinnamon. I love cinnamon and sugar MORE. So why haven't I been eating Snickerdoodles???

Another American treat we are deprived from is Hershey's Cinnamon Chips. I have been lucky enough to have tried these once from a friend who acquired some - and let me tell you, delicious. Since I am not able to find them here in Victoria, I had to think of something else to use. I decided on a simple cinnamon and sugar swirl in the center. In fact, I think I will be renaming this recipe to Cinnamon Swirl Loaf.


I used a copious amount of cinnamon in this recipe. I believe it was a total of 6 tsp. I used every last sprinkle I had! And boy was it worth it. I was a little afraid that this bread would be too sweet with all the layers of sugar or perhaps the cinnamon would taste a bit bitter. It was perfect. The sour cream gave a nice soft texture (not dry) and it had a true cinnamon taste. Real cinnamon. Every bite was like a little cinnamon cloud. It was an instant favorite and I had to keep swatting my husband away from the tray until the guests arrived. Lucky for him it made 2 loaves, we can pull another one out of the freezer next week to enjoy! Cinnamon (and lots of it) is on my next shopping list as this loaf will be asked for again and again.


Cinnamon Swirl Loaf

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream

Filling:
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar

Topping:
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar

Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl cream butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon until fluffy. About 2 min. Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla and sour cream and mix to combine. Add flour mixture stirring until just combined.

Divide half the batter evenly amongst 2 standard loaf pans. Sprinkle filling. Spoon remaining batter evenly between the two pans. Sprinkle topping.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 - 70 min.

Enjoy

CC

6 comments:

  1. hmmm might have to try this one! Does it taste like a cinnamon roll though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I would say more like a coffee cake. It has more cinnamon flavor and more of a cake texture than a cinnamon roll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds incredibly delicious. I'm a cinnamon freak and I can't get enough of it. This is my first visit to your blog. It won't be my last. I love the food and recipes you feature here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, Great to have you!! I hope you try a few things and if you make any improvements, make sure to let me know! Always looking to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out! I like the idea of the cinnamon swirl in this loaf. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann, thank you!! I think I have saved a couple of your recipes to try out!

    ReplyDelete