Monday, January 24, 2011

Baked Zoo Sticks

Adapted from Aggie's Kitchen



My husband loves Zucchini. You know, a vegetable that you have to eat cooked. The kind of vegetable I dislike the most. I prefer most veggies raw. However, these looked like a tasty spin - and crispy enough to not pass as mush. I only made these 2 nights ago and have given the recipe out twice already. Everyone I know is making it.


Obviously, start with some zucchini.

Slice each one into four planks.


And then slice into matchstick heaven.


Now the work comes in. You will need a bowl for your egg wash. A bowl for your dry mixture, and a bowl to put the egg washed zucchini in to be coated with the dry ingredients. Work with only 4 or 5 sticks at a time and rather than putting them straight from the egg wash into the breadcrumbs, put them in a different bowl and put a tbsp or so of dry mixture over top and toss. That way your dry mixture truly stays dry right to the end and won't clump up on you!


Get baking, everyone will love these! I served them with pizza sauce for dipping but my husband (bless him) liked them on their own. My 3.5 year old even ate one or two!!

Baked Zoo Sticks


2 Large Zucchini, sliced into sticks

2 Eggs

1/2 Panko Bread Crumbs

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

1 tsp Dried Oregano

1/2 tsp Dried Garlic Powder


Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with tinfoil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside. Slice zucchini into long planks. Cut planks in half then slice long into sticks. In large shallow bowl, whisk together 2 eggs, set aside. In large shallow dish, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano and garlic powder.


Working with 4 - 5 zucchini sticks at a time, start breading process by dipping sticks into egg mixture and coating in dry mixture. Place on baking sheet.


Bake for approximately 10 minutes, flip sticks and continue baking for another 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.


Enjoy


CC

3 comments:

  1. These look amazing. A great way to get everyone eating some veggies! I like that they're baked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! My hubby and I really love zucchini, so this would be a hit in my house I am sure!

    ReplyDelete