Monday, January 31, 2011

Chicken Caccitorie

Dutchess. Isn't she beautiful? My husband actually came up with her name - she is so very pretty. I have been waiting to cook the perfect dish with her for the first time. Finally it came to me. Chicken Caccitorie. One of those dishes that isn't really a recipe but rather an idea. Anyone can whip this up (sans Dutchess even). Be brave, be bold. Add something new!! I did, (two new things) and shhhhhh nobody knows yet!!


Start by browning off your chicken. I used Shake N Bake (do I even need to say it again? Don't fix something if it isn't broken) but you can use any sort of breading/seasoning you like! I didn't add the small chicken tenders back to the sauce but served them to my 3 year old with some slurpee pasta on the side. Seems to go over better that way. When you are happy with the color on your chicken, remove it and add your vegetables.

Now, with all that veg how can this meal not be good for you? So, secret ingredient number 1 - Shallots. I know, not a big deal but my family and I are not onion fans! I have started using a shallot here or there - and I must say, I think we all are starting to appreciate the little guy. I also have started grating half a zucchini into my tomato sauces. We all like zucchini but it melts away into nothing when grated and you still get the nutrients without feeling like you are eating yet another veggie!

Once your veggies are cooked down and the mushrooms have released some of their liquid, add your sauce. I started with secret ingredient number 2 - red wine. Just 1/4 cup. White wine is often splashed into all kinds of my dishes, but not red. It was delightful. Then I added my favorite tomato sauce. Then I added back the chicken, put Dutchess' lid on and simmered away for 20 min.


I hope some of you get inspired to make your own Caccitorie!!

Enjoy

CC.

WW pts = 10 (1/2 chicken breast, 1 1/2 cups pasta)

No comments:

Post a Comment