Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chicken Mushroom Hash

Recipe from Weight Watchers

Can health food really be this tasty? It started with veggies, lots of veggies. And no cream, no extra cheese, how can this be so good? I really don't know, but trust me there is no lack of flavor here!


I added extra mushrooms to this part. Cause I can. I am the cook!

I had a chicken breast left over from the night before (a roasted chicken) and needed to jazz it up and stretch it out to feed my family. When I read this recipe it all sounded really good, but I couldn't really visualize it. I didn't understand how you would best eat it. And I didn't really know what to put as a side dish with it. More veggies??


I thought that when I scooped this out it would be quite saucy and might need pasta or something, but I was surprised. It held together quite well and was loaded with flavor. Not to mention veggies!! They are good for me, and you!! My husband and I ate up this casserole like there was no tomorrow! It went perfectly with my roasted asparagus.

Chicken Mushroom Hash

Serves 4

1 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (about 2 slices of bread)
3 tbsp grated Romano cheese
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped (optional in my house)
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 cup chopped white mushrooms
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (or leftover chicken!)
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp dried thyme
1 cup fat-free milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray shallow 2 quart casserole dish with nonstick spray.

2. To make crumb topping, mix together bread crumbs, Romano cheese, and parsley in small bowl.

3. heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms give up their liquid and liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes longer.

4. Add chicken to skillet; sprinkle with flour, thyme, remaining 1/2 tsp salt, and remaining 1/8 tsp pepper. Cook, stirring, until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in milk; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce bubbles and thickens, about 3 minutes.

5. Spoon hash into prepared casserole; sprinkle evenly with crumb mixture. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.

Points Plus value: 6

Enjoy

CC

2 comments: