Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Healthy Hummus

An experiment of sorts. Not healthy eating, but getting my son to eat healthy. I was recommended a great book; Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. A must read for any moms out there who are having trouble getting veggies in your kids. This woman puts vegetable puree in everything. Spinach in brownies???

One of the great ideas I did take away from the book was to put out a healthy dip and veggies an hour or so before dinner. That way when your kids come running to the fridge for a snack you can direct them there. A brilliant idea for my snack crazy kid. I really didn't think it would work...

Luckily my Mom thinks she is Greek, so my son and nephew have been exposed to a lot of Greek flavors. Hummus being one of them. I thought this would be the perfect dip to start off with. A healthy version of course.

I sort of have a love hate relationship with my food processor. I mean the work it can do at such a quick speed is unsurpassed, but look at all those parts to clean!!! One or two minutes of work and you have a whole sink full of dishes.

I prefer to serve this dip with raw veggies (my fave way to eat them anyway). My son however prefers little cheddar bunnies.

As a compromise, he earned one bunny for every piece of "veggable" he ate! I also made his veggie sticks quite small so it wasn't such a large commitment for him. This idea really did work. He would either eat the "veggables" or quit asking for a snack. Plus, I enjoyed nibbling as I cooked dinner!!


Healthy Hummus
1 can each chickpeas and chopped artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup reduced-fat maynnaise
2 tbsp grated parmesan
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
1 tsp dried or fresh parsley
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/4 tsp chili powder or to taste
1/8 tsp onion pepper

In a food processor, process the chickpeas until chopped. Add the artichoke hearts, mayonnaise, Parmesan, lemon juice, garlic and seasonings. Blend until pureed. Note: This dip tastes best when it is made the day before serving.

Opa!
CC

3 comments:

  1. I have a Hummus Recipe from WW and a flat bread that's 1 point per serving...I'll try to do it this weekend and get it posted for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love the flat bread recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hummus is such a great healthy snack. That's a wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete