Sunday, September 11, 2011

BENTO BOXES

I have a child in school.  I have a child in school???  I HAVE A CHILD IN SCHOOL!!!

Seriously, how did this happen?  My 4 year old is finally attending full time preschool.  I could not be happier.  Not only is he ready to learn and grow and expand - I seriously needed some time to focus on other things.... like blogging :)  haha.  Anyway, you didn't come here to read about my being a mother - onto the boxes.

Bento Boxes.  Have you heard of them?  They are a traditional Japanese lunch box that is made into the most beautiful art.  I'm not kidding.  Google Image Bento Boxes or check out this website.  Puts my stuff to shame!  But lets face it, my kid wasn't about to eat sticky rice balls and nori.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  In fact, I'd like to just say now that I am 100% aware that Bento has a strong cultural meaning including the types and proportions of foods inside them.  But this is my blog, and my 4 year old's lunch....

I was researching some good lunch ideas because I noticed myself slipping into buying prepackaged goodies to stuff in his bag.  At home we eat almost everything fresh and from scratch.  I did not want to erase that pattern just because I had no inspiration.  During my research I came across this article.  It reinforced a lot of my thinking.  My child does well with "deconstructed" foods.  If we are having spinach salad for dinner I put all the components (egg, cheese, bacon, croutons, lettuce etc) separately in little piles on his plate.  He eats almost all of it - now if I put a traditional salad on there, we'd have no luck.  Same goes with small amounts of foods but lots of variety.  Like lots of little appys for them.  Then I found the Bento Box and from there came inspiration.  Finally.
  



This is the snack box I made up, using silicone muffin liners as dividers.  Cinnamon raisin swirl bread cut out in hearts, apples and grapes with vanilla yogurt as a dip.  The container has a top layer (the blue part) that sits on top. 



I put a home made trail mix (nut free of course) in the top layer.  To be eaten on its own or dipped in the yogurt. 

This is the lunch box I made.  Ham and cheese sandwich on skewers with celery and carrot sticks (not that I am expecting him to eat these, but you gotta keep trying right?).  Apples, grapes and a little brownie. 


I packed some more yogurt along with the box as well.  They may not be as intricate and brilliant as the traditional Bento Box, but hopefully it will make a difference for the little guy!  Not only did I almost avoid all pre-packaged foods I also didn't use a single ziploc bag or any saran wrap!  Environmentally friendly!

Now, go make your own Bento!

CC

No comments:

Post a Comment