Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie Turnovers

Recipe adapted from Melissa d'Arabian


Yup, these taste as good as they sound and look. Chicken and veggies in a delicious sauce/gravy all wrapped up in puff pastry!! Your family will hope for leftover chicken just so you can serve this the next day!

I actually don't like Chicken Pot Pie, or most stews or casseroles. Well, that is what I thought anyway. What I have learned over the years is that it is usually the preparation and quality of ingredients that I don't like or didn't like growing up. I don't want to eat mushy veggies in a sauce consisting mostly of processed soups, powder packets or other short cut ingredients. And that is okay, in fact that is great. The fresher the better! I saw this recipe on TV and the whole time I kept thinking "I like that, I like those, that is exactly how I make my gravy". I figured it was time to try Chicken Pot Pie - well, my version anyway.

The original recipe called for peas but I don't really like them. I decided to use asparagus. Mostly because I like it and partly because I had some in my fridge!

All the veggies and chicken bubbling away in their sauce.

I like to cut my veggies big so you can see and taste what you are eating. The pastry did absorb some of the sauce but it still had all the flavor and was delicious.

Be sure to pinch your dough really good around the edges before baking. Some of our sauce found its way out onto the tray - but even this one was fantastic!!

Chicken Pot Pie Turnovers

2 tbsp butter
2 shallots, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 cup chopped asparagus
1 cup chopped mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups chopped or shredded chicken, cooked
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Cook the shallots, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and asparagus with salt and pepper, to taste, until the carrots soften, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for an additional minute, stirring frequently. Add the flour and cook off the raw flavor, about 1 minute more. Turn up the heat to medium-high and deglaze the pan with the wine. Whisk in the stock and Dijon mustard. Add the chicken and cook on a very low simmer until the sauce thickens up into a gravy, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.

On a lightly floured surface, cut your puff pastry into four even squares. Gently roll out each square. Place the squares on a baking sheet and spoon the chicken mixture in the center. Fold the squares diagonally to create triangles. Pinch the edges together to create turnovers (use a little water if needed to bind). Press the edges with a fork to create a decorative border. Whisk the egg with a splash of water and brush the turnovers with the egg wash. Cut a small slit in the top to allow the steam to escape during baking. Bake the turnovers until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving as the insides will be very hot.

Makes 4 turnovers. They are huge and this recipe could be easily spread into 6 portions.



Is there anything you like as an Adult that you didn't when you were a child?

Enjoy

CC

3 comments:

  1. Things that I didn't like as a kid that I like now:

    - Seafood
    - Olives
    - Coffee
    - Strong cheeses
    - Curry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, these are great looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gonna try that one for sure! As for food I like as a grown up I HATED as a child, lamb. Love it now, hated it then thought is tasted like socks.

    ReplyDelete